Saturday, March 13, 2010

7 things.


A couple of weeks ago, I was given the opportunity by my roommate Megan to talk about myself seven times. She "awarded" me the Kreativ Blogger award, which essentially says I have to list seven random things about Kelly Rice and then award it to seven more people. Here are seven things that are going on in my life as of late.

1. I think I made a huge mistake on Wednesday when I drove all the way to Southaven to purchase a video baby monitor. We have an audio monitor that works perfectly fine and does exactly what we need it to, but I made up every excuse in the book to get a video monitor because I feel the need to stare at Clark at every single second of the day, even when he's sleeping. I think that falls under the category of Kelly, get a life, seriously. My logic was flawed, but Aaron told me to go ahead and get it because I talked about it every single day leading up to Wednesday and it was the quickest and easiest way to get me to shut up about it.

The reason I said this may have been a huge mistake is because now I stare at him when he's awake, when he's taking a nap, and when he's asleep for the night. That pretty much means 24 hours a day, correct? Obsessive, much? Yes.

This recent procurement actually caused Aaron and I to get in a fight because he was trying to make me watch a stupid Guy Ritchie film that I had no interest in whatsoever. Instead of watching a 40" HD flat screen tv, my eyes were fixed on the 2" screen that featured Clark sleeping. This made Aaron mad and he kept taking it from me and turning it off, and that made me mad, so I would take it back and tell him to back off, and then he would take it back and say I was being ridiculous and needed to watch the movie, and then I would take it back saying I don't want to watch the freaking movie because its terrible, and then he would take it back....you get the point.

I love my video monitor and it was completely worth the money. And it cost a lot of money.

2. On Thursday, I scraped my knee and elbow and a little bit of my knuckle. How? I was checking the mail. When I get our energy/electric/cell phone bill, I always open the envelope just enough to be able to see what we owe. I never open it all the way because bills instantaneously put me in a foul mood. Anyway, I must have been focusing way too hard on peeking in the envelope, because I ungracefully tripped over the curb and failed to catch my balance and ended up with my face planted in the grass. Thankfully, I held on to the mail. It's a good thing I didn't have, say, a baby in my arms or anything. I don't think I've taken a spill like that since second grade on the playground. The best thing about it was I had an audience. Our neighborhood has about 20 little boys between the ages of 8-13 years, and they all happen to be down the street playing on their scooters and bikes. I know they watched the whole thing from start to finish, but I guess they didn't want me to be embarrassed so they pretended not to see. How chivalrous and gentlemenly of them. Anyway, all day Thursday I had the dad gum Chumbawumba song "I get knocked down, but I get up again" stuck in my head, and that is NOT a good song to get stuck in your head. In fact, it is one of my top 2 least favorite songs on earth.

3. If you live in Oxford, Mississippi, you don't want to go to Kroger with your baby dressed like this:
Apparently, it is a personal insult to men and women over the age of 50 and you will be foreced to have a few short unpleasant conversations. The woman who was bagging my groceries was nice enough to offer to help me take them to the car because it would have been hilarious watching me carrying Clark's car seat and an entire cart full of groceries to my vehicle by myself. When she saw Clark, she asked if I went to MSU, and of course I said yes. She couldn't just nod and say ok, but she turned her eyes away from me and muttered "I'm sorry." I told her she didn't have to apologize about it. And the trip through the parking lot was awkward and silent. But anyway, how cute is this?


Go Bulldawgs!

4. At any given moment on any given day, I will most likely have a red mustache on my face because I do not know how to drink Raspberry Ice Crystal Lite without it staining the corners of my mouth. We always stock up on Raspberry Ice because it helps the Rice's drink more water. Aaron and I often refer to this as "Red Drink" because we are way too lazy to request a glass of Raspberry Ice when its just as easy to request some red drink. Anyway, I consciously try to not get the red stain on my mouth but it never fails. There is your explanation for why I always look like Bozo the Clown.

5. We recently got a Big Green Egg and oh. my. gosh. My life has been transformed by its power and I don't know how we ever survived a day without the Egg. It is Eggcellent. Eggsquisite. I'm very Eggcited about it.

Aaron has no doubt become the ultimate Eggspert and has produced some of the finest foods mine and Jake's taste buds have ever experienced. So far, he has prepared me drunken chicken, ribs, pork tenderloin, pork chops, and steaks. I can't explain how great this grill is and how it has made our marriage stronger and happier. I will not be turning into a vegetarian anytime soon.

6. In an effort to lose the x amount of pounds I gained during my pregnancy, I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred video. She is one of the trainers on The Biggest Loser and she is tough. I've been doing it for about three weeks, and I could tell it would produce great results if I could just quit eating cupcakes, Chips Ahoy cookies, Tootsie Rolls, potato chips, etc. Maybe I should use the money I spend on junk food and hire a personal chef or dietician.

7. Clark went in for his two month check up yesterday and had to get his shots. Those shots were most certainly more difficult for me to watch than it was for him, but by gosh, it was a hard day all around. He cried all day and night I felt so very sorry for him. For the first time in his life, he got Tylenol, which happened to be grape flavored, and he did not know what the heck to think about that.

As of Friday, March 11, 2010 at 3:00 p.m., Clark weighs 12 pounds and 10 ounces and he is some 23 inches long. I don't know how big his head is, but it is big. Just in case anybody is curious about percentiles, he is 70th percentile for both weight and height and 80th for his big head. I had to ask the doctor what the whole percentile thing actually meant because I've always heard people talk about it but I never really cared. He explained to me if 100 babies were in a room, Clark's head would be bigger than 80 of them. But what if all 100 babies in the room had big heads?






So there are seven not so interesting things about myself (and Clark and Arnie). Now I'd like to see Amy Huwe, Nikk-i, Jennifer Hogue, Liz Taylor, Liz Byars, Kimberly McFarland, and anybody else who wants to participate in the Kreativ Blogger thing go for it. You'd be surprised how easy it is to talk about yourself.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I love the fact that you took Clark to Kroger dressed in MSU attire. I do the same thing with Taylor. So glad someone else is doing it too!

Taylor's first set of shots was the worst. She cried all night with them, but then she really hasn't fussed much with the others. Hopefully that will be true for Clark. I have been giving her Tylenol before she gets the shots and I think that helps some.

I completely understand about your trip to Southaven. I make those trips all the time. I can always find something I "need" from Target.

Ashley said...

Kelly, I'm not kidding you---

Clark is one of the most beautiful little boys I have ever seen in my life.

Evy's okay with an age difference. I petition you: arranged marriage? I've probably said that on this blog before :)

Deb said...

I LOVE you, Kelly!!! Clark, too!!! And your cute husband, of course!!! GO! BULLDAWGS!!!

Jimbo and Rach said...

Oh, how you make me laugh! Clark is in the 100% for how cute I think he is even if he was in the room with 99 other cute babies!!!